“I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 18:3-4)
I was reading this whole passage in Matt 18 on the train today. One Korean (I think he looks like Korean) happened to be beside me…and I noticed that after being on the train for a while, he took out his bible and opened it as well! Every early morning, whenever I woke up, I always have a feeling of discontent. It seems that I actually do not look forward to the new day. Somehow, it seems that something is missing from me. Is it a mission in life that I’m missing? Is it someone that should be in my life but they’re missing? What am I striving for? This feeling of amiss just draws me to really want to find out how I can live life better. And hence, I turn to the bible…
I remembered that I’ve read and I’ve taught and I’ve been answering questions about this passage. However, it struck me again today with one thought “Boyyy...why did Jesus wants us to CHANGE and be like little children? And what is it about little children that attracts Jesus’ attention?
Jesus’ answer is a simple one: Humility.
If you want to be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, the character ‘humility’ can qualify you to take your place among those who are greatest in God’s kingdom.
It’s interesting to see how God’s kingdom is so widely opposing to the worldly kingdom. Pride characterizes the worldly kingdom. Pride will get you up the ladder. The boasting of what you have done and what you could do will get you up to the higher rankings. Confidence in yourself will inspire others to place confidence in you to lead them. Of course, if you are blatantly proud, most people wouldn’t be bothered to vote for you. However, by some subtle pretension, you will be able to hide your pride under the cover of humility in public. And you will be the greatest in the kingdom of Man.
Why did Jesus require CHANGE from me? Why do I have to change? This is because pride is ingrained within me. It’s built within my psyche. I need to make a specific conscious decision and take a specific action to change my boastful character. I need to get rid of pride. I need to murder Pride within me.
“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world – the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does – comes not from the Father but from the world.” (1 John 2:16-17)
On a sideline, today’s morning sun came out at 7am! YAY!! SPRING IS COMING!! I took some nice pics of Southbank before getting into office. =)
Went for Bloomberg drinks event again today...drank 2 glass of white wine and 1 glass of champagne and got a free USB.. =p after that, I went to see 'Ninety' at the Arts Centre today with my sis...first time in my life seeing a theatrical production..i've seen opera musical stuff before... but theatre is quite diff ...in the theatre, it says "The only preparation for Rome is Rome. The only preparation for marriage is marriage..." and "Love is uncivilized"...hmmm...
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment